In 1907, the nursery's business was stable enough for it to incorporate, becoming the Glen Saint Mary Nurseries Company. In the 1908 catalog, Taber explains the decision: "A vast amount of experimental work has been, and is being done in the interests of fruit culture... Desirous of extending the scope of the work and anxious to see the nurseries perpetuated under the old name, they [the nurseries] have been incorporated under the name of the Glen Saint Mary Nurseries Company." 1 None of the staff or nursery policies changed because of the incorporation; George Taber remained president and treasurer, H. Harold Hume served as vice-president and secretary, Warren S. Askew was assistant secretary, W. P. Jernigan was assistant treasurer, and M. M. Bass was field manager.
At the time, the property in Glen Saint Mary covered 470 acres, as Taber had continued to purchase property in Glen Saint Mary over the years. The business was valued at $300,000. It continued to expand as Taber purchased an additional 1,000 acres in Winter Haven in 1908, and another 500 acres in Dundee in 1911. By 1913, Taber was selling the 86 remaining shares at $110 each. 2
- Announcement in the 1908 catalog, pp. 2.
- Sources: “The Glen Saint Mary Nurseries, of Florida” 152; Miller 3; “NRHPRF” sec. 8 pp. 2; Letter to J. H. Woodward; “George L. Taber, Family Man and Businessman.”